Fig and mascarpone roulade
Filled with mascarpone, figs and pistachios and rolled into a log, this marshmallowy, pavlova-like meringue is a spectacular dessert for any occasion.
½ cup(s), (110g)
¼ cup(s), (55g)
White wine vinegar
¼ cup(s), (35g), kernels, toasted, coarsely chopped
2 tbs, seeds (optional)
99% fat-free plain Greek yoghurt
⅓ cup(s), (80g)
Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly spray a 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll tin with oil. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edge of tin.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Beat in combined sugars, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until sugar is dissolved and meringue is smooth and glossy. Beat in cornflour and vinegar. Spread meringue evenly into prepared tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned and set when lightly touched with fingertips. Sift icing sugar evenly over a large sheet of baking paper. Invert the hot meringue onto the sugar-dusted paper. Remove tin, cool for 5 minutes, then carefully peel away lining paper. Cool for a further 10 minutes or until meringue is at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth and thick. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, set aside 2 tablespoons of the chilled filling for decoration. Coarsely chop 2 figs. With 1 long side of the meringue horizontal to you, spread the remaining filling over meringue, leaving a 2.5cm border along the long side furthest from you. Scatter over chopped figs and half the pistachios.
- Starting from the long edge closest to you, and using paper beneath as a guide, roll up meringue to enclose filling. With seam-side underneath, carefully slide the roulade onto a platter. Spread reserved filling along the top. Cut remaining figs into wedges. Decorate roulade with fig wedges, remaining pistachios and pomegranate seeds.
TIP: When figs and pomegranates aren’t in season, substitute 125g sliced strawberries or mixed fresh berries in the filling. Decorate top with halved strawberries and a drizzle of passionfruit pulp.