Coq au vin – France
1 hr 10 min
This wintry French classic is cooked in wine and stock for a rich, warming taste.
Skinless chicken thigh
640 g, (buy 800g) fat trimmed
45 g, (2 x 25g slices), fat trimmed
4 individual, trimmed, peeled, halved lengthways
2 stick(s), thinly sliced
200 g, (button variety)
4 clove(s), finely chopped
Reduced-alcohol red wine
½ cup(s), (125ml)
Salt reduced chicken stock
1 cup(s), (250ml)
2 medium, thickly sliced
1 tbs, (2 sprigs)
Potato, desiree, peeled, raw
720 g, (buy 800g) peeled, chopped
¾ cup(s), (180ml)
20 g, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook chicken for 5 minutes each side or until well browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add bacon, onion, celery and mushrooms to the pan. Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the bacon and onion are browned. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add wine and boil, uncovered, until reduced by half. Stir in stock, carrot and thyme. Bring to the boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Discard thyme.
- Meanwhile, place the potato in a medium saucepan. Season with salt and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return the potato to the pan. Heat the milk and butter in microwave on High (100%) for 1 minute or until hot. Mash the potato and stir in the milk mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm. Stir flour and 1 tablespoon cold water in a bowl until a smooth paste forms. Stir in a little sauce from chicken mixture. Add flour mixture to pan and stir over high heat until the mixture boils and thickens slightly. Boil, uncovered, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the coq au vin with the mashed potato.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed sugar snap peas, snow peas, or broccoli.