4 hr 5 min
1 hr 30 min
Everyone loves a pav and this melt-in-the-mouth delight of chocolatey meringue, topped with vanilla cream and strawberries is sure to impress your guests.
4 medium, (at room temperature)
Cream of tartar
1 cup(s), (220g), plus 1 tbs extra
¼ cup(s), (25g), sifted
½ cup(s), (125g)
Light cream cheese
115 g, (at room temperature)
Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free
200 g, halved
30 g, shaved
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and a pinch salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium–high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar is dissolved and stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold sifted cocoa through meringue in 3 batches until just incorporated (be careful not to deflate meringue by overmixing). Spoon onto prepared baking tray and gently spread to form a 23 cm round with a 2.5 cm high edge.
- Bake for 1½ hours. Turn oven off and cool pavlova in oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- To serve, beat mascarpone, cream cheese, milk, vanilla and extra sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Carefully transfer pavlova to serving plate. Gently spread mascarpone mixture over centre, top with strawberries and sprinkle with chocolate. Use a large serrated knife to cut pavlova into 12 slices.
TIP: For the perfect-looking pav, bake on an ovenproof plate, then cool and decorate on the same plate so there’s no need to transfer to a separate plate for serving.