Cauliflower and mushroom 'bolognese'
500 g, florets
1 medium, roughly chopped
1 large, roughly chopped
1 stick(s), roughly chopped
250 g, sliced
Canned diced tomatoes
1 400g can
Vegetable stock cube
1 individual, (to make 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock)
240 g, penne variety
2 tbs, leaves, to serve (optional)
1 tbs, toasted, to serve (optional)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread frozen cauliflower in an even layer over prepared tray, lightly spray with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until browned and tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, process onion, carrot and celery in a food processor until finely chopped. Lightly spray a large pot with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook finely chopped vegetables, stirring, for about 10 minutes, until slightly softened, adding a splash of water if vegetables catch on base of pot.
- Add mushrooms to pot. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, for a further 5-8 minutes, until softened. Stir in seasoning, tomatoes, stock, tomato paste and vinegar and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in roasted cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for a further 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions.
- Divide pasta among 4 bowls and top with ‘bolognese’. If using, scatter over basil and pine nuts to serve.