Spice-Roasted Eggplant with Preserved Lemon Tabouli
olive oil cooking spray
6 small, Japanese variety, halved lengthwise
1 tsp(s), smoked variety
4 medium, seeded and diced
canned drained chickpeas
15 oz, rinsed and drained
¼ cup(s), chopped (plus extra for garnish)
fresh mint leaves
¼ cup(s), chopped
1⅝ oz, preserved, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
fresh lemon juice
1 clove(s), medium, minced
¼ cup(s), crumbled
½ medium, cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 9- X 13-in baking pan with aluminum foil (or coat with cooking spray).
- Score cut side of each eggplant a few times; place in pan cut-side up and coat with cooking spray. Combine salt, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika in a small bowl; sprinkle eggplant with 2 tsp of spice mixture. Roast until extremely tender and lightly browned, 20 minutes.
- While eggplant roasts, prepare tabouli. Cook bulgur according to package directions (and if needed, drain well). In a medium bowl, combine cooked bulgur with tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley and mint.
- Stir together preserved lemon, oil, lemon juice, garlic, and remaining spice blend in small bowl; pour over bulgur mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve tabouli with eggplant; garnish with feta, parsley and lemon wedges.
- Serving size: 2 eggplant halves and 2/3 c tabouli