Sour Cream Pie
1 serving(s), 1/8th of the pie, Filling
2 large, separated (save whites for meringue)
½ tbsp(s), granulated
Light sour cream
½ cup(s), Meringueseparated egg whites
¼ tbsp(s), granulated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pastry as per recipe. Press dough over the bottom and up the side of a 9” pie plate; with a fork prick the dough.
- Line the crust with foil; fill with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes; remove the dried beans/pie weights and the foil.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling, cream together egg yolks and ½ cup sugar.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Stir in sour cream and raisins.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- While pie is cooking, place egg whites and remaining salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and then gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form, approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the top of the pie. Swirl meringue as desired. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 – 10 minutes or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool on rack.
- Slice into eight pieces and serve.