Snow-capped chocolate yule log
Semisweet chocolate chips
5 oz, divided
2 tbsp(s), brewed
White all-purpose flour
Unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup(s), Dutch process variety
5 large, separated, at room temperature
Cream of tartar
4 tbsp(s), divided
Powdered sugar (icing sugar)
Part-skim ricotta cheese
Fat free whipped topping
Vanlla meringue cookies
5 item(s), roughly crushed (about 7.5 g each)
Peppermint hard candy
2 item(s), roughly smashed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a 15 ½- X 10 ½- x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides; coat paper with cooking spray.
- Roughly chop 4 oz chocolate. In a small microwavable bowl, combine chopped chocolate and coffee. Microwave on High 20 seconds; stir until smooth. Set aside; let cool.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add 2 Tbsp granulated sugar; beat until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks, remaining 2 Tbsp granulated sugar and vanilla until pale yellow and mixture forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 3 minutes.
- With a spatula, gently fold chocolate-coffee mixture into egg yolk mixture just until blended. Then gently fold 1/3 of beaten egg white mixture into bowl just until no streaks of whites remain; fold in remaining egg whites in two additions.
- Sift half of flour mixture over chocolate mixture; gently fold just until blended. Repeat with remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched in center, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar over a large clean kitchen towel on a flat surface: immediately invert hot cake over towel. Carefully peel off and discard parchment paper. Starting from a long side, gently roll up cake, jelly-roll style, using towel. Cool rolled cake on wire rack.
- While cake cools, puree ricotta in food processor; transfer to a large bowl and fold in whipped topping.
- Carefully unroll cake, leaving it on towel (cracking is okay). Spread with filling, leaving a 1-inch border on long side opposite you. Reroll cake and transfer to serving plate. (You can leave as one long log or cut off a “branch” as we did here.)
- In a small microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 1 oz chocolate on High for 20 seconds; stir until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate evenly over cake; sprinkle with crushed cookies and candies. Slice into 12 pieces; serve.