Slow cooker carrot cake
White whole wheat flour
Packed light brown sugar
15 oz, canned
2 cup(s), grated
4 tbsp(s), at room temperature (2oz)
Plain lowfat Greek yogurt
Powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- Tear off two sheets of aluminum foil long enough for the sides to stick out of the slow cooker on each side by about 4 inches in length. Working with one sheet at a time, fold foil in half lengthwise; place it across bottom and up sides of slow cooker insert (with excess hanging over sides). Fold other piece of foil in half lengthwise; place it perpendicular to first piece of foil so it forms a cross on bottom of slow cooker insert. (This will make it easier to remove the cake after it cooks.)
- Line a 6-quart slow cooker with a plastic slow cooker liner; coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ¼ tsp salt and cloves.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar and eggs until smooth; whisk in pumpkin puree.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture; gently fold in carrots.
- Pour batter into prepared bag; cover and cook on high until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours.
- Use foil “handles” to transfer bag with cake to a cooling rack; let cake cool completely in bag, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make frosting, place softened cream cheese, yogurt, vanilla extract and pinch salt in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high until smooth, 2-4 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and slowly add powdered sugar; beat until smooth, 4-6 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, 2-4 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled completely, remove it from bag; place cake on a serving platter with smoother side up. Using a small spatula, evenly cover top of cake with frosting; garnish with pecans.Use a serrated knife to slice into 12 pieces. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.