Lamb-ricotta meatballs and sauce
Part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tbsp(s), chopped
1 tbsp(s), chopped, small leaves for garnish
1 tsp(s), divided
Crushed red pepper flakes
Raw lean ground lamb
Uncooked sweet onions
1 medium, chopped
Fresh garlic scapes
1 medium, minced
Canned crushed tomatoes
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet or broiler rack with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Preheat broiler.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ricotta, bread crumbs, parsley, chopped oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Add lamb and stir until mixed well but not overmixed. With damp hands, form 30 meatballs.
- Arrange meatballs on prepared baking sheet. Broil 5 inches from heat, turning, until meatballs are firm, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Transfer tomato mixture to slow cooker. Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, 2 to 3 hours on High or 4 to 5 hours on Low. Serve sprinkled with oregano leaves.
- Per serving: 3 meatballs and about 1/4 cup sauce