Apple Pie Crumble
1 spray(s), butter-flavoured if possible, for the crust
3 tbsp(s), cut into small chunks
2 tbsp(s), at room temp, for the filling
4 medium, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick*
Fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp(s), at room temperature, for the crumble
2 tbsp(s), melted
Uncooked rolled oats
- Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- To make crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade; whiz to combine. Scatter butter over flour mixture; pulse until dough resembles coarse meal. Slowly add water, adding another tablespoon if needed, until dough comes together. Place dough in prepared pan and press dough up sides and around bottom to form a crust; prick bottom of crust with a fork 5 or 6 times.
- To make filling, combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine; evenly spread filling over crust.
- To make crumble, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add oats, flour and sugar; stir to combine and scatter over apples.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350ºF and continue baking until crust and crumble are golden and apples are juicy, about 30 to 40 minutes. If pie crust or crumble is getting too dark, cover with foil for last 20 minutes of baking. Let rest at least 30 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces and serving.
- Yields 1 piece per serving.