15 chocolate brownies that fit into your budget
One, 75g slice of chocolate brownie can be as much as 16 SmartPoints! That does not mean you can't enjoy a brownie with a cup of tea. We have gathered 15 of our top chocolate brownie with SmartPoints ranging from 3 to 9, there is brownies to suit your everyone.
Ingredient swaps to lowers the SmartPoints of your brownies:
- LOW-FAT SPREAD. Using unsaturated vegetable-based spreads instead of butter not only helps reduce the SmartPoints, it will also help give your cakes a lighter, fluffier texture.
- APPLE PUREE. Fruit puree is a healthier switch for butter. When baking slices, brownies and muffins, swap the butter with half the amount of pureed apple or pear.
- COCOA POWDER. It's a source of magnesium and other nutrients. You can also use raw organic cacao powder, which is high in antioxidants.
- DARK CHOCOLATE. Good-quality dark chocolate contains less sugar than cheaper, more processed varieties and will give bakes a much richer, more chocolatey flavour. You’ll need less of it too. Look for chocolate with at least 70% cocoa solids.
- CANNED BEANS. It may sound odd, but canned beans like black beans make a great substitute for flour and will reduce the SmartPoints (canned beans in water are a 0 SmartPoints on Blue and Purple). Used in cakes, they’ll give a moist texture and you won’t notice any difference in flavour. Don’t believe us? Give it a try!
- VEG. Pumpkin, carrots and even zucchini can work well in bakes goods. Their mild flavour means they don't over power the chocolaty goodness. Carrots and zucchinis can simply be grated and added in raw - just gently squeeze some of the excess juice. For pumpkin, simply boil or steam and then mash before adding. Best of all, these veggies are 0 SmartPoints.