Spiced ginger scones
Plain wholemeal flour
1 tsp, extra, for dusting
Reduced fat oil spread
40 g, finely diced
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly spray a non-stick baking tray with oil.
- Sift flours, baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in spread until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar and stem ginger. Lightly beat 1 of the eggs and add to dry ingredients with buttermilk, mixing quickly with a table knife. Form into a soft dough using your hands.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and gently press dough out until it is 1.5cm thick. Cut out 10 rounds using a 6cm fluted or plain cutter dipped in flour. Transfer scones to baking tray with a little space inbetween.
- Lightly beat remaining egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to brush the top of each scone with beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until risen and golden. Scones are cooked when you tap the base of one scone and it sounds hollow. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.