Spanakopita (Greek cheese and spinach pie)
2 bunch(es), washed, trimmed
4 individual, thinly sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
Reduced fat feta cheese
75 g, crumbled
97% fat-free cottage cheese
100 g, (1/2 cup)
4 medium, lightly beaten
1 tbs, chopped
Uncooked filo pastry
250 g, halved
8 x 3 second spray(s)
150 g, cut into 4cm lengths
- Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 23cm pie dish with oil. Wash and dry the spinach, then coarsely chop. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan. Add half the spinach and stir over medium heat for 2 mins or until wilted. Transfer to a large plate. Heat another tsp of the oil in pan, and wilt remaining spinach. Cool completely.
- Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for 3 mins or until almost soft. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl. Take handfuls of the spinach and squeeze out excess liquid over the sink. Add to bowl with feta, cottage cheese, eggs and dill, stir until well combined. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lay out a sheet of filo and lightly spray with oil. Repeat with remaining filo, placing each sheet on top of the last at a 45 degree angle. Ease pastry layers into dish, allowing extra to hang over.
- Pour spinach mixture into pastry shell and smooth the surface. Fold overhanging pastry over filling, overlapping and covering completely. Lightly spray with oil. Bake for 40 mins or until set and golden (cover loosely with foil after 30 mins if overbrowning). Stand in dish for 5 mins, then cut into wedges.
- Blanch beans in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute or until bright green and just tender. Drain and refresh in a large bowl of cold water. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes, cut side up, on a baking paper-lined baking tray. Lightly spray with oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 30 mins or until soft and lightly browned. Cool slightly, then toss with beans and onion. Serve spanakopita with vegetables.