Sarah Van Dyke's apple crumble muffins
SmartPoints® value per serving
Recipe by our WW Ambassador Sarah. Follow her on Instagram @sarahs_recipes.
6 individual, pitted, chopped
bicarbonate of soda
canned apple slices
385 g, (1 x 385g can)
white self-raising flour
¾ cup(s), (115g)
2 medium, lightly beaten
reduced fat oil spread
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a 6-hole (¾-cup/185ml capacity) Texas muffin tin with paper cases.
- Combine dates and ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high for 1 minute. Add bicarbonate of soda and mash dates with a fork. Mixture will foam.
- Process half the apple in a food processor or blender until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons flour. Add remaining flour, apple puree, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and egg to date mixture and stir until just combined.
- Combine reserved flour, sugar and remaining cinnamon in a bowl. Using fingertips, rub in spread until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon date mixture into each paper case. Top each with one-sixth of the remaining apple. Spread the remaining date mixture over apple to cover. Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over top of muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden and cooked when a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Stand muffins in tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 2 months. VARIATION: Swap apple for diced canned apricot.