Mushroom strudel with spiced cherry sauce
3 whole, thinly sliced
1250 g, (mixed varieties)
3 clove(s), crushed
1 tbs, finely chopped
Grated parmesan cheese
½ tsp, crushed
½ small, finely chopped
Canned black cherries in syrup, drained
500 g, (buy 2 x 415g cans), pitted
Ground all spice
12 x 3 second spray(s)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the leek, mushroom and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Drain off excess liquid. Add cream and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Transfer mushroom mix to a bowl. Stir in the tarragon, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Season. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place 1 sheet of filo on workbench. Spray with oil. Top with another sheet and spray with oil. Repeat using 4 more sheets. Spoon half mushroom mixture along 1 long edge of pastry, leaving 5cm at each end. Fold ends in and roll up filo to enclose filling. Place strudel, seam-side down, on the tray. Repeat to make a second strudel.
- Lightly spray strudel tops with oil and sprinkle with poppy and fennel seeds. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Drain 1 can of cherries. Add all the cherries, allspice and cinnamon to pan and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, breaking up cherries, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Transfer the strudels to serving platters. Thickly slice and serve with cherry sauce.