Mixed mushroom and creme fraiche soup
20 g, (porcini)
Light rye bread
80 g, (2x40g), torn into pieces
1 medium, finely chopped
Swiss brown mushrooms
200 g, stems removed, thinly sliced
5 bag(s), (5 sprigs)
1 clove(s), crushed
2 cup(s), (500ml)
2 tbs, chopped
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Place porcini mushrooms in a small bowl. Pour over 1 cup (250ml) boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Place bread on a baking tray and bake for 4–5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Set croutons aside.
- Lightly spray a medium non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until softened. Add Swiss brown mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Remove and discard thyme. Add porcini mushroom mixture, stock and 1 cup (250ml) water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a stick blender or food processor, process mushroom mixture until smooth (see tip p28). Return soup to medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve topped with crème fraîche, chives and croutons.