Mindy's strawberry shortcakes with strawberry sauce
500 g, sliced
¼ cup(s), (40g)
1 cup(s), (150g)
Reduced fat oil spread
80 g, cold
½ cup(s), (125ml) cold
2 tbs, finely grated
Light whipped cream, aerosol can
1¼ cup(s), (50ml)
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Lightly spray a large baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Gently toss strawberries with icing sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes or until liquid starts to collect in the bottom of the bowl. Pour liquid into a smaller bowl and set aside. Wait 2 minutes and gently press strawberries down in the bowl to squeeze out more liquid. Pour liquid into small bowl and set aside. Repeat until you have about ¼ cup (60ml) liquid total.
- Sift flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Using fingertips, rub in spread until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add buttermilk and rind to flour mixture and mix with a knife and fork until just combined (small pieces of spread will make batter appear a little lumpy).
- Spoon batter onto the prepared tray to make 10 cakes, leaving 5cm between each one. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are just golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on tray.
- When cool, split each shortcake in half and lay the two halves on a plate. Top each half with ¼ cup strawberries and drizzle each with a little reserved liquid. Top each half with whipped cream. Serve immediately.