Japanese beef and soba noodle soup
Vegetable stock cube
1 tbs, (dashi)
1 tsp, grated
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
1 medium, cut into match sticks
100 g, florets
1 bunch(es), trimmed, chopped
Beef sirloin steak, raw
440 g, (500g fat trimmed), thinly sliced
Dry soba noodles (100% buckwheat)
1 individual, thinly sliced
- Place dashi powder, ginger, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon mirin and 2L (8 cups) cold water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave carrot, broccoli and pak choy, separately, until just tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Stir-fry beef, in batches, for 3–4 minutes or until browned. Add remaining soy sauce and mirin. Stir-fry for 1–2 minutes or until beef is coated. Transfer to a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Drain.
- Divide noodles among serving bowl and top with beef and vegetables. Ladle over dashi broth and serve sprinkled with sesame oil and shallots.