Chocolate honeycomb snaps
SmartPoints® value per serving
This delicious golden honeycomb melts in your mouth.
1½ cup(s), (330g)
Bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp, sifted twice
50 g, or milk, melted
- Lightly spray a shallow 32cm x 18cm (top measurement) rectangular tin with oil. Line the base and sides with baking paper, allowing paper to hang over the 2 long sides.
- Combine the sugar, golden syrup and 1/3 cup (80ml) of water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir for 2 minutes, without boiling, until the sugar dissolves. Brush the inside of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in hot water to dissolve all the sugar crystals. Place a sugar thermometer in the pan and bring to the boil.
- Boil, uncovered, for 6-7 minutes or until deep golden and the temperature reaches 150°C, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into cold water separates into hard, brittle threads.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the bicarbonate of soda until combined. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Set aside for 1 hour or until firm.
- Turn the honeycomb onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread honeycomb with melted chocolate. Set aside for 30 minutes or until set. Break into 20 shards to serve