Chicken terrine with quick mango relish
1 medium, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
1 tsp, finely chopped
70 g, (3 slices, crusts removed) torn
Raw skinless chicken breast
450 g, (buy 500g) fat trimmed, chopped
Skinless chicken thigh
200 g, (buy 250g) fat trimmed, chopped
Extra light sour cream
¼ cup(s), (60g)
2 medium, lightly beaten
½ cup(s), (65g)
Prosciutto fat trimmed
80 g, (buy 100g), fat trimmed
2 tbs, white
2 medium, flesh diced
1 small, finely chopped
1 tsp, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a 1.5-litre (6-cup) 9cm x 19cm (base measurement) capacity loaf tin with oil and line with baking paper, allowing the long sides to overhang. Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat and cook brown onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in thyme and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Using a food processor, process the bread until it forms coarse crumbs. Add to the onion mixture. Working in batches, process the chicken until finely chopped, but not mushy. Add to the onion mixture with the sour cream, eggs and pistachio nut kernels. Season. Mix well.
- Lay slices of prosciutto across the tin to cover the base and sides, overlapping slightly. Lay a slice horizontally across each end. Spoon the chicken mixture into the tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Tap the tin on the bench a couple of times to release any air pockets. Fold the edges of the prosciutto over the chicken mixture. Lay a sheet of baking paper on the surface of the mixture, then cover the tin with foil. Place the loaf tin in a baking dish and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the tin. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through.
- Stand the loaf tin in the baking dish for an additional 15 minutes, then lift out and remove the foil and paper. Carefully drain off excess liquid and refrigerate the terrine until serving time.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, sugar, mango, red onion and ginger in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool, then refrigerate mango relish until required.
- To serve, invert the terrine onto a board and remove the baking paper. Cut the terrine into slices and serve with the mango relish.