Beef and pumpkin lasagne
extra lean beef mince
turkey breast mince
1 medium, finely chopped
2 individual, sticks, finely chopped
2 medium, finely chopped
3 clove(s), crushed
1½ tbs, mixed variety
50 g, red variety
canned diced tomatoes
800 g, (2 x 400g cans)
beef stock cube
1 individual, to make 400ml of stock
grated parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), (40g)
pumpkin, butternut, raw
500 g, peeled, cut into 3.5mm thin slices (see tip)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Lightly spray a large, deep non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over high heat. Brown mince in batches, remove from pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, lightly spray pan again with oil and cook onion, celery, carrot and garlic for 10-15 minutes, or until softened, adding 1 cup (250ml) cold water to pan to prevent vegetables sticking.
- Return browned mince to pan along with dried herbs, lentils, tomatoes and stock. Bring to simmer then cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes until sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- For white sauce, place flour in a large jug and gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan and cook, whisking over medium heat until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat, whisk in half the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Stir in nutmeg and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. To assemble lasagne, spoon one-quarter of meat sauce over base of a 33cm x 24cm baking dish, then cover with one quarter of pumpkin slices in a single layer. Top with one-third of remaining meat sauce, followed by another quarter of remaining pumpkin slices. Continue layering with half the remaining meat sauce, one-quarter of remaining pumpkin slices, then a final layer of meat sauce and remaining pumpkin slices. Pour over white sauce and scatter over remaining parmesan. Season and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden and bubbling and pumpkin is tender when tested with the tip of a small sharp knife.
- Stand 10 minutes, then slice to serve.