SmartPoints® value per serving
1 hr 40 min
Invented on the 18th century this pud is still good!
reduced fat oil spread
green apple, unpeeled
2 medium, coarsely chopped
fruit loaf, white
251 g, (8x40g slices), crusts removed
reduced-fat vanilla custard
4 x 3 second spray(s)
- Lightly spray four 150ml-capacity ovenproof dishes with oil.
- Melt spread in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, sugar and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apple is tender.
- Meanwhile, using a small sharp knife, cut 4 slices of bread in half crossways, then cut each half into 4 small rectangles (or fingers) to make 32 rectangles. Using 5.5cm and 6.5cm round cutters, cut a 5.5cm disc and a 6.5cm disc from each slice of remaining bread. Place 5.5cm rounds in bases of prepared dishes. Arrange rectangles, slightly overlapping, around sides of prepared dishes.
- Divide apple mixture among prepared dishes. Place 6.5cm discs over filling. Lay a piece of plastic wrap over the top of each charlotte and place a weight (such as an unopened can of tomatoes) on top to weigh mixture down. Set aside for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.
- Remove cans. Bake charlottes for 30 minutes or until golden and heated through. Set aside in dishes for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare custard following packet instructions. Turn charlottes onto serving plates. Serve with custard.