Turkey Meatball and Escarole Soup
Whole wheat bread
2 slice(s), crust removed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Uncooked 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 large, minced
3 tbsp(s), chopped flat-leaf
Extra virgin olive oil
Reduced sodium canned chicken broth
4 cup(s), Swiss chard or kale, lightly packed thinly sliced leaves
Canned cannellini beans
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
- Mix together bread and milk in large bowl; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turkey, Parmesan, egg, shallot, 2 tablespoons parsley, salt, and pepper, stirring until mixed well but not overmixed.
- With damp hands, shape turkey mixture into 24 meatballs, using about 2 tablespoons for each meatball; transfer meatballs to sheet of foil as they are shaped. Wash bowl.
- Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, in two batches, and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer meatballs to cleaned bowl as they are browned.
- Combine broth, escarole, and beans in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker; add meatballs. Cover and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 4 hours on Low. Serve soup sprinkled with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup and 3 meatballs