Tomato Soup with Garlic-Cheddar Toasts
1 medium, chopped
3 clove(s), large, minced
2 clove(s), large, halved
28 oz, 1 can San Marzano peeled variety, chopped, juice reserved
Canned chicken broth
Unpacked brown sugar
¼ tsp(s), or to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes
⅛ tsp(s), or to taste
4 oz, 8 small slices, ciabatta variety
Reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2 oz, (about 1/2 cup), sharp variety, shredded
¼ cup(s), sliced fresh leaves, or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and juice, broth, brown sugar, salt, and pepper flakes. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cream cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat. Puree soup in pot with handheld immersion blender, or cool 5 minutes and blend in small batches in blender. Add a little more chicken broth or water if soup is very thick.
- Preheat broiler. Place ciabatta on baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat source, turning once, until bread is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven and rub toasted bread with halved garlic cloves. Sprinkle each slice with 1 tablespoon Cheddar. Broil toasts until cheese melts, about 30 seconds.
- Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon basil and serve with toasts on the side, or dice toasts and place on top like croutons.
- Serving size: 1 1/4 cups soup and 2 toasts