Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 head(s), small
4 medium, thinly sliced
Fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth
Whipped cream cheese
Shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
1½ oz, shredded
Hot pepper sauce
Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring a large saucepot of salted water to a boil.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add panko and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and let cool; stir in Pecorino and set aside.
- Cut 3 cups small florets from cauliflower; set aside. Cut remaining cauliflower (including stem) into 2-inch pieces. Add cauliflower pieces and carrots to boiling water; cook until very tender, 10–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine broth, cream cheese, mustard, 1/4 c Cheddar, Gruye`re, salt and pepper sauce in a large blender. With a large slotted spoon, transfer cooked vegetables to blender; puree into a creamy sauce.
- Add pasta to same pot of boiling water; cook half the time of package directions, adding reserved cauliflower florets during last minute of cooking. Drain pasta and cauliflower; return to pot and stir in pureed sauce.
- Coat a 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray; spoon pasta mixture into prepared pan in an even layer. Sprinkle dish with remaining 1/4 c Cheddar and reserved crumb mixture; bake until golden on top, 25–30 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 c