- 18 spray(s) cooking spray, or enough to coat pan and dough
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 30 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
- 1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 8 oz regular liquid egg substitute
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound(s) phyllo dough, frozen, thawed according to package directions
Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and onion and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 5 to 7 minutes; stir in parsley and nutmeg. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add egg substitute, cheeses and salt and pepper; mix well.
Lay 1 sheet of phyllo in and up the sides of prepared pan; coat surface lightly with cooking spray. Top with 7 more sheets of phyllo, coating each layer with cooking spray. Spread spinach mixture over dough and top with 8 more sheets of dough, coating each layer with cooking spray. Roll the overhanging sides of dough into the edges of pan, forming a border.
Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares, almost through to the bottom, but not quite or the filling will leak. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake until crisp and golden, about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting squares all the way through to the bottom. Yields 1 square per serving.