Spanish-spiced roasted pepper bisque
Sweet red pepper(s)
10 medium, halved, seeded and cored
1 tsp(s), extra virgin
1 cup(s), chopped
2 tsp(s), divided
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
1 large, peeled and diced
Reduced sodium canned chicken broth
½ tsp(s), smoked
Plain lowfat Greek yogurt
2 tsp(s), chopped
- Preheat broiler to high. Line two baking sheets with foil.
- Spread peppers in a single layer, skin-side up, on prepared baking sheets; broil, one pan at a time, until skins are blistered and blackened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap up peppers tightly in foil; set aside about 10 minutes, to steam and for skins to loosen. When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove blackened pepper skin with your hands (discard skin); coarsely chop peppers.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add sweet potato, roasted peppers, broth, bay leaf, cumin and paprika; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer until sweet potato is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf; stir in yogurt, honey and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Remove from heat and puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches). Serve garnished with fresh oregano.
- Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.