Spaghetti with Creamy Spinach Sauce
8 oz, baby leaves (about 8 cups)
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
8 oz, spaghetti
2½ tsp(s), extra-virgin
1¼ cup(s), chopped
½ pinch, freshly ground
Fat-free ricotta cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add spinach and sprinkle with water. Cook, tossing, until spinach wilts down and becomes tender, about 3 minutes; remove cooked spinach from skillet. (If your skillet isn’t large enough, cook in 2 batches.) When spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess water.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, heat oil in same nonstick skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is very tender and light golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in spinach; toss until mixed.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water. Transfer pasta to a serving bowl; add spinach mixture and ricotta. Toss, adding 1/4 cup (or more) of reserved pasta cooking water to make a creamy sauce. Serve hot. Yields about 1 3/4 cups per serving.