Spaghetti with caramelized onions
Onions, sweet, raw
5 large, sweet onions such as Texas Sweet or Vidalia (about 4 1/2 pounds), sliced
extra virgin olive oil
1¼ tsp, divided
1 leaf/leaves, large
¼ tsp, (or to taste)
grated Parmesan cheese
¾ cup(s), or shaved
6 sprig(s), optional
- In a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker, mix together onions, oil, and 1/2 tsp salt. Tuck in bay leaf. Cover and cook until onions are golden and softened, about 6 hours on Low.
- Stir onions. Partially cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until onions are golden brown and most of liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 hours on High. Stir in remaining 3/4 tsp salt. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- Divide pasta evenly among 6 large shallow bowls and top with onion mixture. Sprinkle with pepper, Parmesan, and thyme, if using.
- Per serving: about 1/2 cup onion, 1 cup pasta, and 2 tbsp cheese