Southern-Style Onion Rings with Chili-Garlic Dipping Sauce
2 large, sweet variety, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rings
½ cup(s), (you'll need 3 cups total buttermilk but about 2 1/2 cups are discarded)
Whole-grain yellow cornmeal
Reduced calorie mayonnaise
Asian garlic sauce
- Place onion rings and buttermilk in a large zip-close plastic bag (or use a covered bowl); allow to soak in refrigerator 4 hours or up to overnight (do not separate into individual rings; you want thick rings).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450°F. Place a silicone baking liner on each of two large baking sheets.
- Beat eggs in a small shallow bowl. Combine panko, cornmeal, garlic, salt, paprika and cayenne in another shallow bowl. Remove rings from buttermilk and dip one in egg. Next, dredge in cornmeal mixture; turn to coat and place in a single layer on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients; coat rings with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes. Flip onion rings; bake until crispy, 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, whisk together mayonnaise, ketchup, 1 Tbsp buttermilk and Asian garlic sauce; serve with onion rings.
- Serving size: 4 large onion rings with 2 1/2 tsp sauce