Skillet Spinach, Pea Shoot and Spring Herb Pie
1 medium, chopped
½ tsp(s), roughly chopped
Crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh baby spinach
¾ tsp(s), divided (or to taste)
⅛ tsp(s), reshly ground (or to taste)
2 tbsp(s), chopped
1 tbsp(s), chopped
Olive oil cooking spray
½ pound(s), small fingerling variety, very thinly sliced
Uncooked pea shoots
4 oz, finely chopped
Reduced-fat feta cheese
6 oz, crumbled
2% reduced fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, fennel seed and red pepper flakes; cook until slightly softened, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add spinach, season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes (cook spinach in batches if necessary). Stir in parsley and dill; remove from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Generously coat bottom and sides of skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add potatoes in a single layer, overlapping slightly until they completely line bottom of skillet; cook potatoes, just until they begin to soften, 2 minutes (season with salt and pepper, optional).
- Squeeze out excess moisture from spinach mixture; evenly scatter over potatoes. Sprinkle with pea shoots; set aside.
- Whisk together egg whites, feta, milk, egg and lemon zest until well-combined; gently whisk in 1/8 tsp salt and pinch pepper (optional). Pour egg mixture into skillet; bake until set, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let sit 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.