Shrimp-and-tomato kebabs with jalapeño
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 medium, halved and thinly sliced
½ tsp(s), cracked
1 medium, with seeds, minced
2 clove(s), large, minced
White wine vinegar
⅛ tsp(s), or to taste
Olive oil cooking spray
1½ pound(s), large size, peeled and deveined
12 oz, (1 container) assorted-colours
- If using wooden skewers, soak 12 (12-inch) skewers in cold water to cover 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bay leaves, oregano, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add jalapeño and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and stir in vinegar and salt. Transfer to small serving bowl and cool. Season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Preheat grill to medium- high heat or prepare medium-hot fire.
- Drain skewers. Thread shrimp on 8 skewers and tomatoes on remaining 4 skewers. Sprinkle shrimp with more salt, if desired; spray both sides of kebabs with olive oil nonstick spray. Place kebabs on grill rack and grill, turning once, until shrimp are just opaque in center and tomatoes are charred, about 5 minutes for tomatoes and about 6 minutes for shrimp.
- Serve kebabs warm or at room temperature with onion relish.
- Serving size: (2 shrimp kebabs, 1 tomato kebab, and 1/4 cup onion relish)