Shrimp and chicken chorizo paella
½ tsp(s), ground
Canned low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp(s), divided
1 pound(s), large, peeled, deveined
1 large, thinly sliced
8 oz, sliced
4 medium, white parts sliced, green ends reserved
Canned diced tomatoes
15 oz, drained
Uncooked arborio rice
2 cup(s), or other short grain rice
Frozen baby peas
¼ cup(s), chopped
12 oz, sliced
Roasted piquillo peppers
1 tbsp(s), sliced
- In a small bowl, combine saffron and hot water; stir to dissolve.
- Heat 5ml (1 teaspoon) oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes per side; remove to a plate. Add remaining 5ml (1 teaspoon) oil, chorizo, onion, mushrooms, white parts of scallion and salt to pan; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms begin to brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan; cook, stirring a few times, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, paprika and rice; stir to combine. Add broth and saffron water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer; cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in peppers, peas and reserved shrimp; continue to cook, uncovered, until rice is tender and begins to dry on bottom of pan, about 5 to 7 minutes. Garnish with parsley and chopped green parts of scallion; serve.
- Yields about 375ml (1 1/2 cups) per serving.