This flavourful tomato stew is a Middle Eastern dish often served for breakfast. The eggs poach right in the stew cutting prep and clean up times.
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), chopped
- 1/2 medium uncooked onion(s), (15 ml) diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, (7 ml)
- 1 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), (250 ml) chopped
- 3 cup(s) fresh spinach, (750 ml)
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, (795 g)
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste, (30 ml)
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce, (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp table salt, (2 ml)
- 6 large egg(s)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, (15 ml) chopped
In a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in oil until soft. Add cumin and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms brown, 3-5 minutes. Add spinach; cook just until wilted.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and hot sauce; bring mixture to a simmer and season with salt. Crack an egg into a bowl and gently slide into skillet. Do this 5 more times, leaving space between each egg so they remain separate.
Cover skillet and reduce heat to low; simmer until eggs are just set, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; garnish with parsley.
Serving size: 1 egg and 2/3 c sauce
- Serve with grilled whole-wheat pita or reduced-calorie multi-grain toast.