Savoury Matzo Pudding
2 hr 20 min
1 hr 15 min
Almost like stuffing with a crispy top. The perfectmate for pot roast or roast chicken. Garnish withfresh parsley just before serving.
3 egg white(s), large
Canned chicken broth
2 cup(s), chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 3 quart ovenproof baking dish (about 13x 7inches) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whiles, salt and pepper until wellcombined; stir in broth.
- Run each sheet of matzo under cold water and shake off excess moisture; crumble matzo into egg mixture and stir well to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, tossing once or twice.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add onions and celery; sauté until onions turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables brown and start to caramelize, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When eggs are almost all absorbed by matzo, stir in vegetable mixture until wellcombined; spoon mixture into prepared dish and smooth out top. Drizzle oil over top of matzo pudding; bake until top is crisp, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting into 12 equal portions. Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Yields 1 piece per serving.
You can make this with whole wheat matzo though it will change the consistency since the whole wheat matzo does not absorb the egg mixture as well (could affect the Points value).