Ricotta-and-spinach stuffed cabbage
Uncooked savoy cabbage
8 leaf/leaves, large
Part-skim ricotta cheese
Fresh baby spinach
1½ cup(s), chopped
4 medium, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese
Canned tomato sauce
1 oz, shaved
- Place cabbage leaves on a large microwavable plate; cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on High until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer cabbage to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, trim thick ribs at base of leaves.
- Meanwhile, to make filling: In a large bowl, stir together ricotta, spinach, scallions, egg, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Place 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in opposite sides and roll up to enclose filling. Place cabbage rolls, seam-side down, in a 5- or 6-qt slow cooker. Top with tomato sauce. Cover and cook until cabbage is fork-tender, 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 7 hours on Low.
- Sprinkle cabbage rolls with basil and shaved Parmesan. Put 2 cabbage rolls on each plate; top with tomato sauce.
- Per serving: 2 cabbage rolls and 2 tbsp tomato sauce