Uncooked skinless chicken breast with bone
28 oz, (four 7 oz breasts - or similar size)
2 tsp(s), divided (or to taste)
2½ tsp(s), divided (or to taste)
1 tsp(s), freshly ground
1 tbsp(s), fresh leaves
Cooked chicken chorizo sausage
6 oz, cut into rounds
3 clove(s), medium, thickly sliced
Sweet red pepper(s)
Reduced sodium canned chicken broth
Uncooked baby broccoli
1 bunch(es), trimmed (cut in half lengthwise if thick)
1 item(s), juiced and zested (optional)
- Remove any visible fat from chicken; with a sharp heavy knife, halve each breast crosswise, cutting through bone. Season chicken all over with 1½ tsp salt, 2 tsp paprika, black pepper, and rosemary.
- Heat oil in a large (12-inch) straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add chicken to pan; nestle chorizo and garlic around chicken. Cook until chicken is golden brown on all sides, turning chicken and chorizo a few times, 8-10 minutes. Transfer chicken and chorizo to a plate (chicken breast will not be cooked through); leave garlic in pan.
- Split leeks in half lengthwise, then cut into ½-inch slices; immerse in cold water to remove all sand and grit. Carefully lift leeks from water to avoid mixing sand back in; drain well and repeat if necessary.
- Add leeks, carrots, peppers, and remaining ½ tsp salt to pan; cook over medium heat until soft, stirring frequently, 6-8 minutes. Add quinoa, remaining ½ tsp paprika, turmeric, and broth; stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Nestle chicken pieces and chorizo into quinoa mixture, along with any accumulated juices on plate; cover pan tightly and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Scatter baby broccoli over top; cover and continue to cook until quinoa is done, chicken is cooked through and baby broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes more. Season to taste, if desired; garnish with optional fresh lemon juice and zest.
- Serving size: 1/2 chicken breast, 1 cup "paella" and a few spears broccoli