Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
5 item(s), medium, (2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange)
Uncooked lean beef top sirloin steak
12 oz, thinly sliced
Low sodium soy sauce
2 cup(s), chopped, vertically sliced
1 pound(s), sliced
3 clove(s), medium, minced
Reduced fat provolone cheese
4 oz, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut 1 green bell pepper into thin strips. Cut remaining 4 bell peppers in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds and membranes with a spoon. Arrange halved peppers, cut side up, in a 13 x 9–inch baking pan or casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add steak to pan; cook, turning occasionally, until well browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Drizzle with soy sauce; cook, tossing frequently, until steak is glazed and liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove steak mixture from pan.
- Off heat, recoat pan with nonstick spray (no need to wipe out pan). Reheat pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper strips, onion, mushrooms, and garlic to pan; sauté until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper, then return steak to pan.
- After 20 minutes, remove bell pepper halves from oven. Uncover pan; discard any liquid from peppers. Divide steak mixture evenly among pepper halves. Top evenly with cheese. Bake at 400°F until cheese melts and starts to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serving size: 2 stuffed pepper halves