Pea and ricotta crostini
Frozen green peas
10 oz, or fresh spring peas
Part-skim ricotta cheese
¼ cup(s), fresh, firmly packed (plus extra for garnish)
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp(s), preferably Parmigiano Reggiano
1 tbsp(s), extra-virgin
1 clove(s), medium
½ tsp(s), or to taste
¼ pinch, freshly ground, or to taste
French baguette bread
6 oz, cut into 24 even slices
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
6 medium, cut into 4 wedges each
- Bring a medium saucepan half full of water to a boil; add peas. Return to a boil; boil 1 minute to soften skins. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain again.
- Put drained peas into the bowl of a food processor; add ricotta, mint, Parmesan, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Process until mixture is smooth but still has a little bit of texture. Scrape mixture into a bowl and let stand at least 15 minutes for flavours to blend (or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place bread slices on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray; bake until lightly browned and crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Place bread slices on a wire rack; cool.
- To assemble crostini, mound 1 tablespoon pea mixture on each piece of toasted baguette. Top each with a cherry tomato wedge and a small mint leaf; serve. Yields 1 crostini per serving.