Pasta, Bean, and Sausage Soup
Reduced sodium canned chicken broth
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
10½ oz, hot Italian, about 3, removed from casings
2 large, diced
2 stalk(s), medium, diced
1 small, chopped
4 clove(s), medium, chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, with juice
Canned cannellini beans
3 oz, (1 cup)
½ cup(s), coarsely chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking sausage into chunks with side of spoon, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion; cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and juice, fennel seeds, and salt. Mash half of beans with fork; stir in mashed and whole beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for flavours to blend, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Ladle soup into 6 bowls and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
- Serving size: 2 cups soup and 1 teaspoon Parmesan