No-Noodle Vegetable Lasagna
1 medium, trimmed, sliced lengthwise in 0.5 cm (1/4-in) thic
2 large, trimmed, sliced lengthwise in 0.5 cm (1/4-in) thic
1 large, beaten
part-skim ricotta cheese
¼ cup(s), fresh, cut into thin strips
grated Parmesan cheese
½ oz, high-quality recommended, divided
store bought marinara sauce
4 cup(s), divided
shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
½ pound(s), divided
- To roast vegetables, preheat oven to 200°C(400°F). Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray. Place eggplant on one prepared baking sheet and place zucchini on other prepared baking sheet; coat vegetables with cooking spray. Roast 8 minutes; turn over vegetables and roast for 7 to 10 minutes more (total roasting time should not exceed 20 minutes or the vegetables will get too mushy); remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine egg, ricotta cheese, basil and 60 ml (1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- When vegetables are done, reduce oven temperature to 180°C(350°F).
- To assemble lasagna, coat bottom and sides of a 36 cm X 20 cm (14- X 8-inch) baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of sauce about65 to 80 ml(1/4 to 1/3 cup) on bottom of pan. Layer eggplant over sauce (use all the slices, even if you have to overlap them). Cover eggplant with half of marinara sauce and then spread half of ricotta mixture on top; sprinkle with half of mozzarella cheese. Top mozzarella cheese with zucchini and cover zucchini with remaining marinara sauce; spread with remaining ricotta mixture and then sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the bottom starts to bubble, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove lasagna from oven and allow it to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before slicing into 12 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.