unsweetened cocoa powder
unpacked brown sugar
1 cup(s), or sweetener (sugar substitute)
4 item(s), medium
1 cup(s), plus 3 tbsp
shredded coconut meat
¾ cup(s), unsweetened Icing:
fat-free cream cheese
½ cup(s), icing
imitation coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square spring form pan with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa and baking powder; sift until evenly combined, add the sugar.
- In a larger bowl whisk the egg whites until frothy, stir in the applesauce and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture and the shredded coconut and stir until well combined.
- For the icing, combine all ingredients and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into an 8-inch square baking pan and tap gently to remove air bubbles. Bake the batter for 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Allow the baked bars to completely cool. Remove the cooled baked bars from the baking tray and spread the cream cheese frosting over the entire top surface- slice into 12 even slices and serve.