Mussels with Pernod and Cream
4 medium, finely chopped
1 small, finely chopped
½ cup(s), cold
2 fl oz, Pernod or other licorice-flavoured aperitif recommended
1 fl oz
Uncooked shelled mussels
2½ pound(s), in shells, scrubbed*
2 Tbsp, minced
¼ tsp, or more to taste
⅛ pinch, or more to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add shallots and onions; cook until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and add water, Pernod and wine. Return to heat; simmer for 1 minute.
- Add mussels and cover pot. Increase heat to high and cook, shaking pot once or twice during steaming, until mussels open, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove mussels from liquid using a strainer or slotted spoon; place them in a large bowl. (Remember to throw away any unopened mussels.)
- Boil remaining liquid until it’s reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cream, tarragon, salt and pepper. Pour liquid over mussels and serve immediately. Yields about 2 cups per serving.