- 6 item(s) cardamom pods, optional
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, (2 ml)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed(s), (2 ml)
- 2/3 cup(s) uncooked jasmine rice, (150 ml)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, (2 ml)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, (2 ml)
- 1 1/4 cup(s) water, (325 ml)
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds, (30 ml)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, (10 ml)
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), (125 ml) yellow variety, sliced
- 2 cup(s) uncooked kale, (500 ml) coarsely chopped, packed
- 15 oz canned drained chickpeas, (425 g) rinsed and drained
- 1 cup(s) uncooked cauliflower, (250 ml) small florets
- 1 cup(s) uncooked butternut squash, (250 ml) 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove(s)
- 2 tsp ginger root, (10 ml) finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, (2 ml)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 3/4 Tbsp water, (12 ml)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, (30 ml) coarsely chopped (for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp golden seedless raisins, (30 ml) chopped
- 3 Tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt, (45 ml)
- Toast cardamom pods, cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a small skillet over medium-low heat, shaking pan back and forth over heat occasionally, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Place 4 cardamom pods and half of cumin and coriander mixture in a small bowl; set aside for vegetables (the remaining 2 cardamom pods and seed are for rice).
- Rinse rice under cold running water until water runs clear.
- In a medium saucepan with tight 2tting lid, heat 5 ml (1 tsp) oil over medium heat; add rice. Stir in turmeric, cinnamon, and toasted cardamom and seeds reserved for rice; stir in 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt and 325 ml (1 1/3 cups) water. Bring rice mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat (do not open lid); let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- To make vegetables, while rice is cooking, heat almonds in a small skillet over medium-low heat, shaking pan back and forth over heat frequently, until lightly golden, 4-5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once almonds are cool, coarsely crumble; set aside.
- Heat 10 ml (2 tsp) oil over medium heat in a medium skillet with tight-2tting lid. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently until beginning to wilt, 2-3 minutes. Add kale, chickpeas, cauliDower, squash, garlic, ginger, 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt, cayenne, and toasted cardamom and seeds reserved for vegetables; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 3/4 c water; increase heat to high and cook, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender and water is mostly evaporated, about 1 minute more.
- Fluff rice with a fork and then add to skillet with vegetables; gently fold to combine and adjust seasonings to taste. Sprinkle with raisins, cilantro and crumbled almonds; serve warm with a dollop of yogourt.
A heatproof spatula does double-duty here. Use it to stir vegetables while cooking, then to gently fold those veggies together with the rice. Don’t have a heatproof spatula on hand? Reach for a wooden flat-bottom spoon or standard wooden spoon instead.