Korean Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Ssambap)
Gochujang hot pepper paste
3 tbsp(s), divided
Low sodium soy sauce
Toasted sesame oil
3 tsp(s), divided
Unpacked brown sugar
2 tsp(s), divided
2 clove(s), large, grated and divided
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
¼ cup(s), or preferably Korean doenjang
Unsalted toasted sesame seeds
12 leaf/leaves, large, red or green leaf
Cooked white short grain rice
¼ cup(s), thinly sliced
2 medium, or red jalapeño peppers (optional), thinly sliced
- Coat a grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- In a medium bowl, stir 1 tbsp of the gochujang, the soy sauce, 1 tsp of the oil, 1 tsp of the brown sugar, and half the garlic. Add the chicken and toss well to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir the doenjang, sesame seeds, and the remaining 2 tbsp gochujang, 2 tsp oil, 1 tsp brown sugar, and garlic. Set the sauce aside.
- Arrange the chicken on the grill. (Discard the marinade.) Cover the grill and cook the chicken until well marked and cooked through, about 6 minutes on each side. Cut the chicken into slices. Serve the chicken with the lettuce leaves, rice, kimchi, scallions, the reserved sauce, and chiles (if using).
- Serving size: 2 lettuce wraps