Korean grilled chicken lettuce wraps (ssambap)
Gochujang hot pepper paste
3 tbsp(s), divided
Low sodium soy sauce
Toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp(s), divided
Unpacked brown sugar
2 tsp(s), divided
2 clove(s), medium, grated and divided
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
¼ cup(s), or preferably Korean doenjang
Unsalted toasted sesame seeds
Cooked white short grain rice
½ cup(s), thinly sliced
2 medium, or red jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
12 leaf/leaves, large, red leaf or green leaf
- Off heat, coat a grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat a gas grill to medium-high, or prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill.
- In a medium bowl, stir 1 tbsp gochujang, soy sauce, 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp sugar, and 1 garlic clove. Add the chicken thighs and toss well to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir the remaining 2 tbsp gochujang, remaining 2 tsp sesame oil, remaining 1 tsp sugar, remaining 1 garlic clove, doenjang, and sesame seeds. Set the sauce aside.
- Arrange the chicken on the grill rack. Close the grill lid, and grill until chicken is well marked and cooked through, about 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the grill and cut into slices. Divide the rice, kimchi, scallions, chiles, and chicken evenly among the lettuce leaves.
- Serving size: 2 lettuce wraps