Italian sausage and pepper pasta
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
½ pound(s), Italian-style, casings removed
2 tsp(s), extra-virgin
2 medium, cut into 2-inch long thin strips
1 medium, thinly sliced
4 fl oz
Canned crushed tomatoes
28 oz, fire-roasted recommended
Crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp(s), or less to taste
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
8 oz, fusilli
⅓ cup(s), fresh, chopped
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring and breaking up meat with back of a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Heat oil in same skillet. Add yellow peppers and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are lightly coloured and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic; cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add sauce and basil; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 1/3 cups per serving.