Individual British Christmas Puddings
Fresh orange juice
Dark brown sugar
4 oz, chopped
3 oz, stems removed and chopped
Reduced calorie wheat bread
White whole wheat flour
Pumpkin pie spice
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
Lite whipped topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
- In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, sugar, dates, and figs. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the fruit is softened and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and place in a mini food processor; process until fine breadcrumbs form, 15 to 30 seconds. In a medium bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, flour, pie spice, and baking soda.
- Stir the brandy and orange zest into the fruit mixture in the saucepan. Gradually stir in the egg, then stir in the breadcrumb mixture. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Cover the pan tightly with nonstick foil and place inside a sheet pan. Place the pans on the oven rack; carefully pour hot or boiling water into the sheet pan until it’s about halfway full. Bake at 350°F until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and remove the foil; run a small, thin knife or offset spatula around each pudding. Invert the puddings onto plates; top with whipped topping.
- Serving size: 1 pudding and 1 tsp whipped topping