Individual Baked Zitis
Uncooked whole wheat ziti
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), divided (Parmigiano-Reggianosuggested)
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1½ cup(s), divided
Part-skim ricotta cheese
Canned crushed tomatoes
Canned tomato paste
1 tbsp(s), chopped (plus extra for garnish)
1 clove(s), medium, minced
Crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp(s), or to taste
1 egg white(s), large
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until barely tender; drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, generously spray 12 extra-large (6-ounce) muffin cups or 6-ounce ramekins with nonstick spray. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon Parmesan in bottom of each and tilt ramekins or muffin pan to cover bottoms evenly.
- Transfer warm pasta to large bowl; immediately stir in ¾ cup mozzarella and the ricotta. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, garlic, Italian seasoning,red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Combine egg white and water in small bowl; whisk until smooth. Add egg mixture to pasta; stir to combine.
- Divide pasta mixture evenly among prepared muffin cups and press down lightly with spoon to pack; sprinkle each cup with 1 tablespoon remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, until mozzarella is melted and noodles begin to brown at edges, 12−15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes; sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan over tops. Remove zitis from muffin pan; garnish with basil.
- Serving size: 1 baked ziti