Hide the Vegetable Turkey Lasagna Created by Ambassador Katie Biss
Uncooked extra lean ground turkey breast
Dehydrated onion flakes
1 tbsp(s), or 1/4 cup finely minced fresh onion)
1 tsp(s), (or 2 tsp fresh minced garlic)
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
3 item(s), small, orange, yellow, or red varieties, diced
Uncooked butternut squash
5 pound(s), (1 large), peeled and diced
1 large, peel on, diced
⅛ tsp(s), or to taste
Canned tomato sauce
2⅝ cup(s), (1 x 650 mL jar), tomato basil variety
Part-skim ricotta cheese
475 gm, (1 x 475 g container), or full fat ricotta cheese
Uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Cook ground turkey with the onion and garlic (if you have non-stick pans, olive oil or cooking spray is not needed). Set aside.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Peel/cut vegetables and place in one layer on cookie sheets. There's no need to be precise with your cutting, it's all getting puréed! Bake vegetables until softened and browned.
- Add pasta sauce to food processor/blender then add the cooked vegetables. Remove the feeder cap from the lid of your blender, put the lid on, and put a tea towel over the top (to avoid any hot splashes). Blend until smooth, stopping to stir if needed. Add salt to taste.
- In a large bowl combine the sauce and ground turkey.
- Cover a 9x13 baking dish with a thin layer of meat sauce. Add 3 uncooked lasagna noodles. Spread a third of the ricotta on top of the lasagna noodles and sprinkle some Italian seasoning on top. Repeat until all sauce, noodles, and ricotta are used (typically 3 layers).
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 °F for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling (cover the lasagna with aluminum foil, while baking, if needed but this is not required).
- Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serving size: 1 slice