Hasselback Carrots with Smoked Paprika, Roasted Lemon & Yogourt Sauce
8 large, ends trimmed, peeled (about 3/4 lb)
1 tsp(s), sweet-smoked Spanish variety (pimenton)
1 tsp(s), divided
1 medium, halved
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 large clove(s), minced
¼ cup(s), cilantro, and/or mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat; add carrots and cook until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 2 Tbsp hot water, then drain carrots and run them under cold water until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Working with one carrot at a time, place a skewer or chopstick on either side of carrot and make crosswise cuts partway through the carrot, about a ¼-inch apart. Don't slice all the way through - the skewers will help keep your knife from cutting too far. Place carrots in a single layer in a roasting dish, cut sides up.
- Combine reserved cooking water, oil, paprika and ½ tsp salt in a small bowl; whisk well to combine and drizzle mixture evenly over carrots.
- Place lemon halves in roasting dish; roast until carrots and lemons are both browned in spots and carrots are very tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer carrots to a serving dish.
- Use tongs to squeeze juice from lemon halves into roasting dish (discard lemon halves); swirl to combine juice with pan drippings. Pick out and discard any lemon seeds; then drizzle mixture over carrots.
- Combine yogurt, garlic, and remaining ½ tsp salt in a small bowl; whisk well to combine. Dollop yogurt sauce on top of roasted carrots; sprinkle with herbs. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 carrot and 1 Tbsp yogurt sauce